An Introduction to Family Dispute Mediation
The Introduction to Family Mediation course is designed to provide participants with an understanding of the principles, processes, and skills involved in family mediation. This course is ideal for professionals who wish to pursue a career in family mediation or enhance their existing mediation skills in the context of family disputes. Participants will gain practical knowledge and essential tools to effectively mediate and facilitate communication between family members, helping them navigate through challenging issues and reach mutually acceptable agreements.
There are several reasons why someone may consider joining this course:
- Gaining knowledge and understanding of family mediation: Taking an online course on family mediation can provide you with a solid foundation of knowledge and understanding of the principles, concepts, and techniques involved in family mediation. It can help you grasp the fundamental aspects of the field and develop a comprehensive understanding of its purpose and application.
- Explore career opportunities: Family mediation is a growing field with increasing demand for skilled professionals. By taking a course, you can explore potential career opportunities in family mediation. Whether you’re considering a career change or seeking to enhance your existing skills in a related profession, this course can provide a valuable introduction to the field and help you determine if it is the right path for you.
- Add to professional qualifications: If you are already working in a related field, such as law, counseling, social work, or education, completing a course in family mediation can add to your professional qualifications and expand your expertise. It can make you a more versatile professional, allowing you to offer additional services to clients or open up new career opportunities within your current organization or sector.
- Make a positive impact: Family mediation can play a vital role in helping families navigate challenging situations and conflicts, such as divorce, custody disputes, or eldercare issues. By joining a course on family mediation, you can contribute to the well-being of individuals and families by learning effective strategies for conflict resolution and helping them find mutually agreeable solutions.
This course has been designed by practicing lawyers and licensed, qualified family dispute mediators.
- Unit 1: Understanding Family Mediation
- Unit 2: Mediation process and Techniques
- Unit 3: Legal Framework in family mediation
- Unit 4: Issues in Family Mediation
- Unit 5: Building a successful career in family mediation
- Unit 6: Practical tips.
No prior knowledge is required.
The course titled aims to provide participants with a comprehensive understanding of the principles, processes, and skills involved in mediating family disputes. The course is designed to introduce students to the field of family mediation, equipping them with foundational knowledge and practical techniques to effectively mediate conflicts within families.
This course is suitable for a range of persons:
- Professionals in the legal field: Lawyers, paralegals, and legal professionals who handle family law cases can benefit from a course on family dispute mediation. It can provide them with an alternative approach to resolving conflicts and expand their skills beyond traditional litigation. Mediation skills can complement their legal expertise and offer additional options for their clients.
- Family law practitioners: Professionals specializing in family law, such as family law attorneys or mediators, can benefit from an introduction to family dispute mediation course. It can provide them with a deeper understanding of the mediation process and techniques, allowing them to better serve their clients and explore alternative dispute resolution options.
- Individuals considering a career in family mediation: Those interested in pursuing a career in family mediation can use an introduction course as a starting point. It provides a foundation of knowledge and skills required to enter the field. Participants can assess their interest and aptitude for mediation and decide whether to pursue further education or certification in family mediation.
- Mental health and counseling professionals: Psychologists, therapists, counselors, and social workers who work with families can find value in a course on family dispute mediation. It can enhance their ability to facilitate communication, manage conflicts, and help families find amicable resolutions. Mediation skills can be applied alongside therapeutic interventions to support families in a holistic manner.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
Following completion of this course, students will be in a position to:
Module 1: Understanding Family Mediation
- Understand what family dispute mediation is
- Understand the role and responsibilities of a family dispute mediator
- Appreciate the benefits of family mediation in resolving disputes.
Module 2: The Mediation Process and Techniques
- Understand the process of mediation
- Understand the essential skills required for effective communication and negotiation in mediation
- Understand the techniques required to facilitate dialogue, manage emotions and find common ground.
Module 3: Legal Framework in mediation
- Understand the importance of familiarization with relevant family law regulations and statutes
- Understand the role of a mediator in navigating legal considerations
- Understand confidentiality and ethical guidelines in family mediation.
Module 4: Issues in family mediation
- Appreciate the common issues that are addressed in family mediation, such as child custody, visitation, spousal support and property division.
- Understand the Important techniques to use in family dispute mediation
- Understand how to recognize and manage power imbalances in family mediation
Module 5: How to build a successful family dispute mediation business.
- Understand the practical steps you must take to build a family dispute mediation business.
- Understand the steps you should take both professionally and personally to ensure that you are a successful mediator.
Module 6: Practical Tips
- How to prepare your opening statement in a family dispute mediation session.
- How to prepare a family mediation agreement
1The European Legal Training Centre is dedicated to providing high-quality training to qualified and prospective lawyers at all stages of their legal education. We offer continuing legal education by lawyers for lawyers. The expert team consists of university academics and practicing lawyers with wide-ranging, cross-jurisdictional experience in legal practice, litigation, corporate law and academic legal education. The ELTC has been accredited by European Bar Associations to provide training relating to the continuous professional development of lawyers in Europe. ELTC has also been accredited by prestigious legal education centres in the UK and Europe.